YUM!!! Warm spinach and artichoke dip…this is something that will really impress your crowd. It’s a healthy version but NO ONE will be able to tell :)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic (pressed)
- 1 (9-ounce) package artichoke hearts, defrosted, rinsed and dried OR fresh artichoke hearts
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, defrosted, excess liquid squeezed out OR fresh wilted spinach
- 1/2 cup organic sour cream
- 2 tablespoons organic mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) organic cream cheese
- 2 ounces (about 1/2 cup) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Heat the oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook stirring occasionally, 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook an additional 3 to 4 minutes, or until onions are light golden but not browned. Remove from heat and cool.
In the bowl of a food processor combine artichoke hearts, spinach, sour cream, mayonnaise, cream cheese, mozzarella and salt and pepper. Process until smooth. Add cooled onion-garlic mixture to the food processor and pulse a few times to combine.
Transfer mixture into an 8-inch glass square baking dish or 9-inch glass pie plate which has been lightly sprayed with cooking spray. Top with remaining mozzarella cheese.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through. Serve with whole wheat pita wedges or my favorite, Garden of Eatin Organic Blue Corn Chips :)